Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Boys JV Lacrosse On the Rise


by Haj Kargbo & Julio Ramirez

           
Will the upcoming sophomores continue the successful season the outgoing seniors and incoming seniors have started?

Lacrosse isn’t the most popular sport in West Hempstead High School; however, this 2017-2018 lacrosse season was one of high hopes and achievements. Despite the fact that both JV and Varsity were short staffed, they still managed to have a decent season. JV, in particular, was a surprise amongst many.

Coach Segreto, a first-year coach, managed to lead his team to a blah blah blah record. With outstanding players such as sophomore Gerardo Maldonado who leads the team in the scoring boards, and freshman Abubakarr Kargbo(AK) they showed some signs of a bright future for West Hempstead Lacrosse. Also after their season ended on a positive note, sophomores Gerardo Maldonado and Sal Galan were brought up to Varsity to play in Varsity's last game.

When AK was asked about his overall experience as the goalie and his intentions for next season he said “ The season was good. I believe I could have played better. I felt that I could have saved more goals, but I think I played well for a first-time player. I hope to improve so I can play at a higher level next year. My goals for next season are to save 100 goals or more and help my team make it to the playoffs”. 

Do we think that he will be able to step up to the plate and takeover Dakota Maags starting goalie position for 3 years straight? 




No comments:

Post a Comment