Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Get ‘Ready Player One’ To Be Blown Away


by Meagan Kinney

Steven Spielberg’s newest creation, Ready Player One, hit the box office on March 29, 2018. The movie made $53 million over Easter weekend and now made over $400 million world wide. 

Ready Player One takes you to a future of dystopia in 2044. A man named Halliday created a video game universe called the Oasis. The story follows the lives of 5 gamers involved with the Oasis and their journey to win Halliday’s Oasis.

Ready Player One is about a kid named Wade Watts who lives with his poverty-stricken aunt in a place called the stacks in Columbus, Ohio. He and everyone else in the world logs onto the Oasis to escape reality on a daily basis. Wade and his best friend, Aech, met on the Oasis as well. After Halliday dies, he leaves 3 keys in the Oasis and whoever can find all 3 first, wins the egg which contains complete control of the Oasis. 


It has been five years and no one has found even one key. Playing as his character, Parzival, Wade meets a girl names Art3mis. He instantly falls for her.  Wade discovers the first key and finally gets the attention of Art3mis, but also of the company IOI run by Nolan Sorrento. Nolan will do everything in his power to gain ownership of Oasis and ruin it for the rest of the players.

When I first saw the trailer for Ready Player One, it intrigued me. I thought it looked very interesting so I went to see it with my brother. I was blown away by how much I enjoyed the movie. The computer-generated effects were really well done.  I did not notice any plot holes throughout the movie. It had a good mixture of satire and seriousness.

 A big reason that I really enjoyed this movie was all the pop culture references. Some people counted 200+ references in the movie. Many of them were video game references and 80’s references. I loved the DC Comic book references throughout the movie and the John Hughes’ references as well.

You will fall in love with the idea of a video game reality to escape the troubles of the real world. This movie will keep you on the edge of your seat waiting for the next thing to come. I think this movie is good for anybody 13+ because of it’s humor but sometimes serious tone to the movie. I would give this movie a 4/5 rating. 

Overall, I think Steven Spielberg did a great job directing Ready Player One.



No comments:

Post a Comment