Monday, June 24, 2019

Mr. and Miss West Hempstead Reveal All

By Jaci Gillen
Autumn initially ran for Miss West Hempstead because it was something she thought about since 9th grade. “I thought I would be a good fit because I am very social, I’m really involved in school activities and I talk to everybody.”

One goal Autumn stated she had was, “to allow people to become more involved in order to gain a better sense of unity and to help break up some of that clique mentality. I hope to break the status quo. So everybody can at least have a friend so they won’t be alone here in the high school.”

Autumn is very well rounded. Through the years she has been cheerleading, in the acapella club, played lacrosse, been a member of student council, on the morning announcements, and in the school plays.  One of her favorite activities is supporting our school teams, “I love to cheer out there at the football games, because screaming is fun. And I try to go to all the basketball games as well.”

 Outside of school Autumn keeps herself busy too. She loves to sing even though she claims she is very shy. She certainly does not seem shy around the building. She also says she wishes she could be a professional dancer.These things are hobbies even if I’m not the greatest.

Autumn also shared with me some of the shows she likes to watch on Netflix.  “So, my current favorite movie is, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” based on the best-selling book. I also like Insatiable and Rick and Morty, even though it’s not on Netflix.

Being on the Homecoming float with Mr. West Hempstead, Rob Bethune, was fun for her because they have been friends for a long time.  “My sister and his sister are actually best friends so I see Dani, his sister, a lot.  She comes over a lot and our parents know each other. I’m very friendly with Robert and I actually visited him in the hospital when he had his surgeries for his back. On the float for the parade Autumn said was really cool. “Our driver which is… Daniel Martinez’s dad, he was playing music on the radio so it was really fun. And also Robert and I were watching each others backs because we really thought we were gonna fall off!”

Autumn’s message to the underclassmen is, “… stay true to yourself because in high school peer pressure is a thing, so people expect you to be different and you might start acting that way. And also, talk to everybody! And be nice to everybody because you never know what’s going on at home or how somebody’s day went.”

“After high school I definitely plan to go to college and just at least make a difference in the world  because we need a whole bunch of that, we need a change.”


Robert Bethune explained his motivation for running for Mr. West Hempstead. “Well I just wanted to you know, because I’m a senior I wanted the underclassmen to know that I’m going be there for them. I just want to make sure everyone’s voices get heard and everything.”

Robert thought it was important for the underclassmen to feel safe in the school. “It’s a scary environment for the freshmen because they go from middle school to high school so I want them to know that they can come to me about anything, you know they can come to me after school.

Robert also has a message for the underclassmen. “If you ever have a problem you can come to me or your guidance counselor. The counselor will be there even when I’m gone. Their guidance counselor is going to be your best friend by the end of high school.

“When I was a freshmen I never wanted to go to teachers or counselors so I offer my counsel to anyone who wants it. Before you even come talk to me you should know that I welcome your visit and that, I’m a really outgoing guy and that I say what you need to know instead of what you want to hear.”

Robert has a keen interest in films and screen writing.  He says that he would either like to become a lawyer or write for movies. He was torn between attending SUNY Potsdam or Five Towns College.



No comments:

Post a Comment